"Vegan Ramen, one of my all-time favourite dishes that screams of health and deliciousness. Below is a recipe that’s just fantastic and simply enough to make at home."
Simple Vegan Ramen
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped or 2.5 tablespoons of Garlic.
- Big piece of ginger diced
- 1 small chilli, diced
- 1 medium red or yellow onion
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce (you can add more to taste)
- Pack of shiitake mushrooms, roughly chopped - half for stock, other half for garnish
- 1 tablespoons of miso paste
- Ramen noodles for 2, or noodles of choice
- Tub of, extra-firm tofu, flash fried
- 2 medium carrots, cooked, preferably sautéed in a bit of soy sauce
- Other half of shitake mushrooms, cooked
- You can also add other ingredients like cooked asparagus which is just delicious.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add oil, garlic, ginger, chilli and let infuse.
- Add your red onion
- Sauté, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes
- Add 1 cup of the vegetable stock, this helps to deglaze the bottom of the pan.
- Use a whisk (or wooden spoon) to scrape up any bits that may have stuck to the bottom to enhance the flavour of the broth.
- Add the rest of the vegetable broth, soy sauce and half the pack of mushrooms - stir.
- Bring to a simmer over medium, then reduce heat to low and cover.
- Simmer for at least 1 hour.
- Add the miso paste
- The longer it cooks, the more the flavour will deepen and develop.
When you’re 20 minutes from serving, prepare any desired toppings:
- Tofu: Drain, allow to stand for 30 mins and then flash fry in a tablespoon of oil
- Carrots: Roughly dice and fry until cooked, add soy sauce for extra taste
- Shitake Mushrooms: Sautee in a tablespoon of oil until cooked, throw in soy sauce for extra flavour
- Ramen Noodles Fill a large saucepan or pot with water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add ramen noodles - about 4-5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Note: You can also add bok choi, asparagus or other veg as desired
- Add a teaspoon of miso paste to the broth and stir for additional flavour.
- Strain broth and reserve onion and mushrooms for serving.
To serve, divide ramen noodles between two bowls
Pour over strained broth, the mushrooms and onions and the other toppings.